Thursday 8 September 2011

2012 Audi S8 Drive Test

2012 Audi S8
Audi and Bentley have developed a new V-8, compact twin-turbo 4.0-liter, which can automatically switch to the fuel economy four-cylinder mode. The only visual difference between the 2012 Audi S8s an engine with a new and old car models have four small microphones Active Noise Control System and a horizontal bar graph tach and speedometer between the driver indicates when a large sedan is running Mode V-4 or V-8.
2012 Audi S8

I drove the Bentley Mulsanne its cylinder deactivation system last year, so I was intrigued to see how Audi simplified. Bentley does not bother with a chart that shows the driver is in eco mode, and frankly, I think Audi little distracting.

After a while, I guess you either get used or just ignore the green bar flashes on the left and right as the engine of dips in and out of state V-4/V-8. But a short 12 - Mile Drive through the suburb of Ingolstadt, I realized looking for a place of transition between V-8 and V-4 and found it difficult and frustrating to maintain a green V-4 mode. Going by my experience of Bentley, I believe, on the highway at high speed would be to find easily slip into the V-4-State, as the miles passed.

In the Bentley, I could not tell if its 6.75 liters V-8 running on all eight cylinders to four only. The same is not entirely true for the S8 4.-liter, there is a subtle change in the cylinders of the engine exhaust hole exceeding eight to four, it was perhaps more aware of it because I kept looking for that tipping point. To ensure the smooth running as a V-4, switchable active electronic engine mounts are used in an Audi for the first time, all the active noise control in the cab of the costumes are not intrusive engine noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment